My carb rebuild kits came in earlier this week, and I figured that it might be a good time to actually take the carbs off the bike to clean them. It was pretty scary. The carbs were so gummed up that even when I unscrewed the drain screws at the bottom, gas came out from the drain screws themselves (and not the drain holes!). When I turned the left carburetor sideways to remove it, gas started leaking out through its gasket. These things need a serious overhaul.
Here’s a picture of the bike with the air filter removed. The fuel petcock was turned off, but I think that the fuel lines were still flowing a little bit of fuel. I’ll have to check that out sometime. I want to get some nice chrome filters, anyway. You might also notice that the right carburetor is missing its choke plate. I know, pretty lame. I’ve got the plate on the left carb, but I might just run with that if I can get the bike to agree.
Next a look down the intake manifold form where the carburetor was attached. I sprayed some deep creep into each manifold for good measure. Can’t hurt.
This is a picture of the bike with the carbs and air filters removed. Yeesh.